See status report below for updates about Recording and Book activities for Hymns and Songs for Living.
Welcome to new website material replacing original material from 2004 (which still exists at TortoiseClimbing.com)
Note. During development of this completely new website material, it is being hosted as: TortiseClimbing.net. (The new website will later be migrated back to be hosted as TortoiseClimbing.com.)
This website provides a wealth of information about:
- The Hymns and Songs for Living recording, which is in final stages of being finalized; plus other recordings in various stages of planning for later completion;
- Companion publication of Hymn History Stories to the recording of Hymns and Songs for Living. It too is in final editing. Plus, publications envisioned to possibly accompany other recordings;
- Detailed story about how TortoiseClimbing came to be, including why these are the current projects we are working on;
- How you can communicate with/send comment(s) to TortoiseClimbing; and
- Petsitting services available from K's Petsitting.
Check Us Out
Check out the considerable information provided on aspects of these projects by clicking on the master menu above for categories on:
- Communicate/comment; and
- K's Petsitting.
Status Report: Activities being completed on Hymns and Songs for Living
Accompaniment Materials on Recording
- On 10-13 and 10-21-2020, recorded choral vocal arrangements to refrains for Welcome Home;
- First Draft of lead recorded;
- Practice tracks sent to David for lead.
Handbells and Baby Bagpipe:
On 9-11 & 12, 2020 with Wayne Morrison, and Westminster Ringers, recorded:
- New interlude for Amazing Grace with baby bagpipe (Shuttle Pipe);
- HandBell/HandChime for interlude for Amazing Grace;
- HandBell/HandChime additional accompaniment on last verse of Amazing Grace.
- HandBell/HandChime accompaniment on last verse of Just A Closer Walk with Thee.
On 10-8-2020, recorded:
- Melody line and harmony lines with cello for interlude verse of Amazing Grace.
Transposed key of shuttle pipe to key of Amazing Grace recording using Adobe's Audition software.
Work on the website is continuing to gather editorial comments to finalize pages. Outreach to those with placeholder descriptive pages continuing.
Preparing materials to work with Ms. Heidi Gerber-Salins to get her reviews on several pages including her and her mom.
Hymn History Stories Book
During September 2020 - February 2021:
- Copy Editor completed a first draft edit of book and sent to David for review;
- David reviewed suggested edits;
- David made suggested revisions to the edits;
- Copy editor went to hospital for heart pacemaker last week of October;
- David undertook a detailed reread and editing of entire book;
- Sent revised version to copy editor in February;
- Sent revised version to friend for broad overview review and comment, in February 2021.
Status of Activities
Virtually all recording has been completed on 25 of the 26 hymns and songs on the playlist.
Post production on vocals completed and provided to recording engineer.
Additional string bass harmonies added to handbell/handchime accompaniments.
Practice ongoing in preparation for recording lead solo verses for Welcome Home.
Working with recording engineer providing comments for editing of final mixes of hymns.
Reviewing options for distribution of recording, as CD, Streaming, etc.
- Recently set revised version to copy editor;
- Recently sent revised version to friend;
- Reviewing options for publication of book both online and in print.